Saturday, April 10, 2010

God’s Grace in my Recent Trial

I am in awe of God and His goodness in my life. Looking back I can see God walked me through various trials of my life. He extended His gracious hand and lifted me up when I knew I was in the miry clay and could not see a way out. The quagmire of problems that surmounted me at several points in my life taught me lessons that I cherish from within. I am here today, jotting down a little about my recent trial. I am able to do this merely by God’s grace and mercy! As I start typing this, I am filled with mixed emotions of happiness, utter gratitude for my life, and worship to God in toto; God so graciously is walking me through this new journey of mine. His immense grace is simply sufficient, for He is with me all through.

Seven months back on September 12th of 2009, I woke up with a weird numbness in my legs. I tried stretching and walking a bit. I tried striking my legs to relieve me of this numbness. No matter what I did, the weird feeling intensified and my anxiety joined in a chorus. All this started on a day when I so wanted to go to church and meet my cousin’s husband that afternoon. I prayed within my heart and managed to get to church and later had a memorable time with my cousin’s husband Mr. Enoch Era. He shared some of his poems and his book with me. I finished reading the book the very night. Just before it was time to go to bed, I again prayed that God would give me a good night’s rest so I could be at work in the morning.

I struggled in the bed with numbness, creepy sensation in my legs, pain in my back and right then a sudden surge of fear rushed in me. My husband, who was noticing me, knew that something was terribly wrong. We both prayed together just so that we could pass that night to see the doctor next morning. Amazingly enough, God gave rest to my weary body and soul.

The next morning I informed my gracious boss and colleagues about my situation. I took an appointment with my neurologist and he checked me that evening. Initially, he and I thought it was some spinal problem and a few compressed nerves. After several weeks of physical therapy, I did notice some improvement in my condition but the weird feelings in my legs and arms did not fade away. A few times I noticed that I had to think a lot to express myself. On several occasions, my speech was slurry and I struggled to speak clearly. I groaned many times with intense pain and soaked my pillow with tears. But when I lifted my voice and praised the King of Glory, He filled my heart with anthems of praise that made me wonder where these praises flew from. Two nights I had tremors in my body and I thought it was due to cold temperatures outside. I shook violently and needed help to stay calm. My husband, a man of great patience, stayed by me and I knew there was nothing anybody could do but my God.

One morning when I was in shower, I prayed a sincere prayer from the depth of my heart, with tears gushing through. This was my prayer… “Lord, reveal how you will bring healing to this aching body. That day you healed Naaman by using a little servant girl. Today how are you going to heal me? My God, forgive me, cleanse me, heal me and make me whole”. After this prayer I had a great relief in my Spirit even when my body was suffering greatly. The next evening, I called up my cousin Dr. Sunil Mahanthi in India. While speaking to me, my cousin said, “God healed Naaman using a little servant girl. He is using me to heal you now!” This was a confirmation for my prayer. This man is a man after God's own heart. His prayers and support reached me at a time when I needed the most! My cousin administered homeopathy medicines to me without seeing me or without knowing what my exact condition was. After using the medicines my condition definitely improved. But, I could see that there was something wrong with my body. I was getting tired easily and my body was not the same any more.

I had to go through several tests even while I was taking homeopathy medicines. I had MRI of cervical spine, brain, thoracic spine, lumbar spine and some had to be repeated with contrast. Every time I went into the tunnel (although the first time I was scared), I felt like God covered me under His protective umbrella. Even though the equipment made all sorts of scary sounds, right in the tunnel I dozed off several times. I know not how this happened but some special warmth always surrounded me there. I had a spinal tap late December 2009. God put me in the hands of a compassionate doctor, Dr. Brian Apatoff, who prepared me mentally and gave me ample time to rest before and after the test. Spinal tap confirmed that I had Multiple Sclerosis. On Jan 7th 2010, the doctor confirmed that it was Multiple Sclerosis and he put me on corticosteroids for ten days. I started taking Copaxone shots starting on Feb 1st 2010. My cousin sent homeopathy medicines for Multiple Sclerosis to me and I am using them.

Shortly before I started Copaxone, I woke up one morning with “Collard Greens” on my lips. I asked my husband to get collard greens and started having them. God spoke to me about diet through this dream. After this dream, my friend Ruth Jen Wright spoke to me about Juice Fast and on bitter herbs. I did not know how I should do this. As I waited on the Lord and sought His guidance, He guided me with His eye and led me by His hands thus far. I was always a conscious eater but I had to make substantial changes in my dietary habits to cope up with my MS symptoms. Another friend of mine, Kathy Houghton mentioned to me about toxins and the Multiple Chemical Sensitivity. I gained some understanding in this area as well. A very dear friend in Christ, Shelly Krull, spoke to me about avoiding specific grains. Later I got to know how a gluten-free diet could benefit an MS sufferer. I can say that all this is still a work in progress but my Master, the Super Physician (God) has touched me and I have touched the hem of His garment. Every bit of change I have made is helping me.

When I couldn’t go to the House of God to worship, God brought the messages to me right in my bed through “The Healing and Resting Place”. Pastor Troy Clerk delivered messages that addressed my need directly. Although he wasn’t aware of my situation personally, God used Pastor Troy Clerk to speak to me the great words of comfort from the Holy Word of God. The Healing and Resting Place has become a ministry very dear to my heart and all my family members as well.

I cannot thank enough all the dear friends in Christ who cried and prayed with me. The list of family, friends and colleagues that were with me during my tough battle is never ending. There are some that I haven’t met personally but I will meet them some day here on earth, God willing (if not in heaven for sure!). The support rendered to me by my parents and in-laws is inexpressible. My heart wells up with deep gratitude for everyone in my family starting with my siblings and their families, my uncle, my cousins, aunts, uncles, friends far and near. God brought well meaningful men and women my way through this ordeal. Special heartfelt thanks to my boss and colleagues who are very understanding and highly cooperative; God blessed me with wonderful colleagues who are all full of grace!

Over years I have had many severe pain experiences. In 2002 when I had my first attack with a stabbing pain in my right shoulder, God brought me closer unto Him. The orthopaedic surgeon in El Paso gave me a cortisone shot that brought some relief to me. After my diagnosis, I can see some explanation to the various pain episodes I have had. I can say gladly that all these years my body was waning but the inner man was renewed by the Spirit of God, during and after each and every ordeal. I fix my eyes on my Savior, Jesus Christ who died on the cross to bring spiritual and physical healing to our hearts and mortal bodies. By His stripes I am healed and so are you!

No comments:

Post a Comment