Sunday, March 20, 2011

Examining Ourselves

"Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves." -- II Corinthians 13:5

This morning as I meditated on God's Holy Word and examined myself, I was particularly drawn into His intimate divine presence to pour out my heart before Him. An intense wave of sorrow flooded me and it stayed on for two hours enlightening me of my own spiritual position. I have urged the Lord many times in the past and on this particular occasion with an intensity like never before to cleanse me, purge me, purify me and transform me wholly. After those two hours, God lifted off that sorrow and instilled His peace and joy within me. I sense the need to share the importance of self examination in the light of His Holy Word without which the cares of the world can easily draw us away from our first love - Jesus Christ. Here are some of my experiences during those moments with the Lord.

During my quiet times, I have fallen prostrate before the Lord God in humble adoration of Him and His goodness while realizing my own human, selfish and sinful state. Those were the most intent times when He exposed my faithlessness and corrected me as I honestly shed tears of true repentance. He always engulfed me with His faithfulness and mercy thus proving His constant unconditional love for me.

Even when I backslid or grew cold in my spirituality, He did not forsake me but instead demonstrated His immense grace by pulling me back to Him. During those cold times, my heart always desired a nearness to Him but I either shooed that away for some unimportant mundane task or went to bed with heaviness. In either case, as my heart's desire was to be with Him, God used a message at church or a godly friend or a family member to admonish me. These messengers of God were unaware of my state yet brought a message that pierced my heart right away. During my lonely times with God, He reminded me of those times when I failed Him yet due to His mercy He sustained me. These surely strengthened my faith and gave me a quick boost in my walk with Him.

In my quiet times, the Spirit of God constantly reminds me that my relationship with God matters more than my work for Him in the world. If we do not soak in His presence, we have no way of knowing Him better and when we are far from Him it is nearly impossible to carry out the work of God without marking it by flesh. An unstained love for Him drives us to carry out His duties only to please Him and glorify Him.

When I am alone with God on my knees, the worship is pure and powerful always. I have noticed that during wee hours when the entire world is in a deep slumber, the time spent with God has a special significance in that not only am I lit spiritually but also my demeanor is demure the whole day thus keeping my soul satisfied. On a few instances, after my time alone with God, people have mentioned that there is a certain calmness around me and I immediately have to point to God and His peace.
Self examination is so vital in a Christian walk that without self-examination we may easily toss and turn and deviate from our natural course to God. Take the time to examine yourself today!

No comments:

Post a Comment